Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Punisher War Journal #21 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: Punisher War Journal #21, about which I write the following sentences: "Under the guidance of Matt Fraction, 'Punisher War Journal' has alternated between clever, witty looks at the Marvel Universe and serious and severe looks at the screwed-up world in which Frank Castle lives. The tone hasn't been exactly consistent from arc to arc, but I don't see that as a drawback at all, because the Punisher in straight-up vigilante mode has never been all that interesting in the long term. The Punisher is an inconsistent character, really, if you take into account all of his in-Universe portrayals over the years. He's been a buffoonish killer, a monster, a hero, a lunatic, a patriot, and almost anything you can imagine. Fraction has written him as a strange combination of all of those things, and if he isn't heroic in a traditional sense, at least he has a code he follows. He's a psychopath headlining a book set in the Marvel Universe, and Fraction has made him compelling and somewhat noble, while never going so far as to make Frank Castle admirable."

Read the entire review HERE.

11 comments:

Molly said...

It has nothing to do with the
punisher, but you might enjoy this: http://www.aardsy.com/blog/when-we-were-kids

Chad Nevett said...

You should change that tag/label from "qui" to "quick reviews." Although, I'd be tempted to leave it and just come up with some meaning for "qui" as an acronym.

Timothy Callahan said...

Quit Underestimating Intellects!

Chad Nevett said...

Well done, sir, but what that has to do with your review...

Timothy Callahan said...

It's just something I tell myself whenever I think I'm the only one smart enough to possibly understand a comic book.

Chad Nevett said...

That is just about the opposite of what I tell myself when I think I'm the only one possibly smart enough to understand a comic book.

Timothy Callahan said...

QUO?

Chad Nevett said...

QOI.

Chad Nevett said...

You know what makes it work? Us never explaining any of them.

Timothy Callahan said...

YASFAC

Chad Nevett said...

JCIHNFIWTFYTTS!