Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The New York Four Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: The New York Four, about which I write the following sentences: "The most impressive aspect of this book is how accurately Wood captures youth culture. His portrait of an eighteen-year-old girl isn't the least bit condescending or out-of-touch. It's not Bob Haney, circa 1968, trying to sound like a 'swinging teen.' It's a writer sensitive to the eternal fears of any burgeoning adult but also someone who has been paying attention to how teenagers interact. When Riley obsesses over her text messages at the expense of her face-to-face friendships, we get a sense of what it means to live in that kind of social world today. As someone who works with adolescents in my day job, I know that Wood has captured the energy, the coolness, the uncertainty, and the reality as well as anyone telling stories today."

Read the entire review HERE.

1 comment:

Justin Giampaoli said...

Hi Timothy -

Great reviews! I just found your site through CBR and dig your writing style. Seems like we park our cars in the same garage when it comes to some of the books we like. I just added a link to your site from my own. Keep up the good work!

Justin
13 Minutes
www.thirteenminutes.blogspot.com