Friday, July 25, 2008

Ambitious Failures Hit THE SPLASH PAGE

My negativity toward Southland Tales sparked some debate about the concept of the "ambitious failure," so Chad Nevett and I had to join the fray with a deeply philosophical discussion on the topic--one that may be neither deep, nor philosophical, but is certainly the greatest column in Sequart history.

Read along with us, as we discuss the ambitious failures of Joe Casey, Grant Morrison, Brian Azzarello, and even Raymond Carver (sort of).

And, because I read the whole damn thing, I propose that Countdown was nothing if not an ambitious failure. I could be wrong about that.

And Charlatan Ball? Is that destined to be an ambitious failure after only two issues?

Only The Splash Page can tell.

Read all about it HERE.

2 comments:

Chad Nevett said...

"You can be, and are, wrong."

Anonymous said...

Tim, my semi-regular pal, your comments make me feel that I like the Spice Girls. In other words, after reading your comments about Southland (and, yes, I'm on a first name basis with the film -- that's how tight the film and I are) it makes me wonder if I actually like crap.

I respect your opinion. You are actually one of the only barometers I use for purchasing comics, so to hear you come down so strongly against something that I enjoyed (albeit, I had to watch it a few times and read the prequel comics -- you know, that work a godd reader/viewer is supposed to put into something if he/she wants to really understand/enjoy something) is making me quesion my own taste. Perhaps I enjoy turds. Why? I think I need to talk to someone about my palette.

Oh, and when should I be expecting the contract for Hotel Torture?