Friday, August 01, 2008

Thor #10 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: Thor #10, about which I write the following sentences: "This new incarnation of 'Thor' hasn't been what you would call fast-paced. The series has little action and slowly developing character arcs. It's not that kind of comic. Instead, it's a drama that lingers on moments without feeling the need to artificially amplify the spectacle. These are gods walking the Earth. These are ornately costumed characters interacting with one another and speaking of grandiose events. There's no need to throw in fisticuffs just because that was the norm a generation ago. And I, for one, appreciate the restraint. In some ways, this comic feels like a Vertigo comic of old -- sort of a Neil Gaiman riff, although more reliant on art rather than dialogue. And I think it's nice to see the Asgardian characters handled this way."

Read the entire review HERE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too love what JMS has been doing with Thor. This is what these deep and rich comic book characters should start to amount to after centuries of publication, something more than just another action machine. Don't get me wrong, I love the occasional summer crossover, but JMS made me love Thor. Before he was just a guy with a thunder hammer to me. Now he's something beyond even his folklore and comics root, and anyone who doesn't appreciate that can stick to Loeb's Hulk.