Friday, August 08, 2008

Invincible Iron Man #4 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: Invincible Iron Man #4, about which I write the following sentences: "The real draw here is Matt Fraction's script. He's brought Tony Stark to life far more successfully than anyone other than Robert Downey, Jr. Fraction gives us the same kind of vibrant Tony Stark that we saw in the film, and there's far more energy in this comic than in the 'Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.' series. One might think an Iron Man as an intelligent sexy superspy comic would be the one to read, but it's not. That one's neither intelligent or sexy, it turns out. I don't want to spend too much time here discussing another comic, but while 'Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.' has all the fun of an administrative bureaucracy, 'Invincible Iron Man' is about the potent intersection between technology and superheroics. It's a bit about technology fetishism too, but most of all it's about characters at odds with one another, using the world as their game board."

Read the entire review HERE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I'm the only other person I know who shares your enthusiasm of Fraction's hyper-modern characterization of Tony Stark. Alot of people complained about the lack of plot in this issue which is a valid point but the ideas that Fraction keeps throwing out more than make up for it. What Fraction does, it seems to me, is openly embrace the modern/futuristic tone that Marvel comics are supposed to represent, with this issue showing us just how surreal and yet 21st century Tony's life is. I mean buying out a soda company to distribute pharmaceuticals? Also, I enjoy Fraction's use of previous continuity with the super-villain costume collector and his fleshing out of the Triump Division as this generational super-team to seperate them from just being "Filipino-Avengers". Anyways, I'd love to see Fraction handling the next Marvel event or whatever, because the man seems to be full of ideas and ability to embrace but also revamp past history.