Thursday, August 28, 2008

Final Crisis: Superman Beyond #1 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: Final Crisis: Superman Beyond #1, about which I write the following sentences: "It's an ambitious, heady exploration into the history of the DC Universe and Superman's place within it, but for a comic that's about the power of stories, there's probably not enough of a comprehensible story here for anyone who isn't a regular reader of Morrison's other work. It's a densely-packed meta-text, and I enjoy it on that level, but I think a lot of readers will be baffled. And, once again, the 3-D doesn't help to make this comic any easier to read."

Read the entire review HERE.

[Note: I gave some serious thought to providing annotations for this issue, but I'm going to pass you over to David Uzumeri instead. You're in good hands.]

1 comment:

David Uzumeri said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Tim! For what it's worth, I thought your review was dead-on - it really does feel like a big final giftwrapped present for people who've been following his career, with echoes of Animal Man and JLA and even Invisibles and the Filth. It's almost like Seven Soldiers #1 in how artistically brilliant but maddeningly inaccessible it is.