Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Marvel 1985 #4 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: Marvel 1985 #4, about which I write the following sentences: "In many ways, this series is the heir to Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross's 'Marvels.' I don't know if it was conceived that way -- though I suspect it was, because of the original plan to use photographs instead of pencilling. What could out-photo-ref Alex Ross besides, well, actually photos? But, luckily for us, Marvel abandoned the photography experiment and handed the book over to Tommy Lee Edwards, who has always been an interesting artist but is doing some of the best work of his career on this title. And I say it's the heir to 'Marvels' not because of the look of the pages, but because of its perspective. Like 'Marvels,' (and like Millar's own 'Kick-Ass,' but from a different angle), 'Marvel 1985' shows stale old superheroes and villains through the eyes of a civilian. Not in the way that Busiek sort of did it in the early 'Astro City' stories, and not the way that Marvel's various 'Front Line' series try to do it, but in the way 'Marvels' actually did it: with a sense of the wonder and terror of the superhuman race."

Read the entire review HERE.

1 comment:

Chad Nevett said...

I have a .pdf of this issue sitting in my inbox that I just haven't had the energy/time/urge to open since it arrived last Wednesday. Maybe today.