Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Surprise of the Week: Green Lantern Corps #27

Peter Tomasi has done a nice job since taking over Green Lantern Corps. It's been a cut below the Johns/Reis work on the main Green Lantern title, but it's been solid and I'm fond of the characters and the concept of the Corps, so I've been enjoying it.

But with Green Lantern Corps #27, Tomasi has kicked this title into mad genius overdrive. It has some character bits between Kyle Raynor and Guy Gardner that work just fine -- as they open their American Diner on Oa -- but it's the two other subplots that really make this issue excellent. The first one, clear foreshadowing toward "Darkest Night," deals with a Green Lantern who can talk to the dead, and it's creepy and engaging. The second one, though -- the one indicated on the cover -- shows a monstrous new villain who's zipping around the galaxy, killing the families of Green Lanterns.

Those eyeballs dropping from the sky on that cover? That's not a metaphorical image. (Okay, the eyeballs are a little smaller in the actual issue.) Any comic that ends with a shower of dead GL family member's eyeballs is worth my attention.

Surprise of the week! Nicely done, Peter Tomasi.

3 comments:

James said...

He didn't draw this issue, but I really like regular penciller Patrick Gleason. But aside from the odd bit (Gibbons' evil space-babies), the writing's never done it for me, whoever's been at the helm.

Timothy Callahan said...

I like Gleason, but Luke Ross did a great job on the interiors here.

Marc Caputo said...

I've been loving this book since the mini, but it's been getting better and better. The first year was really good, but I like where Tomasi is headed.

Luke Ross, though? Isn't he the one who did that last issue of Captain America? That was a very jarring switch and didn't do it for me.

However, Gleason's art took a while to grow on me, so....