Friday, September 05, 2008

When Words Collide: Elliot S! Maggin's Noble Humanity

Look at the frustration and/or anger on Superman's face! I wonder what's causing that? Oh, right, it's writer Elliot S! Maggin and his Jeph Loeb-inspired story, "Must There Be a Superman?" -- one of the great Bronze Age Superman tales.

I kind of became obsessed with Maggin's Superman work over the summer, mostly revolving around his two original Superman prose works, The Last Son of Krypton and Miracle Monday, but I dove into his comics work as well.

Anyway, you can see what happens when you mix my brain with that stuff in this week's "When Words Collide" installment at CBR.

So if you haven't already read my Maggin piece, jump over there and check it out, then comment on the CBR-hosted WWC message board.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Michael said...

It's been ages since I read either of Maggin's novels, but didn't one of them have the Guardians as supporting characters in some way, commenting on or referring to the "Must There Be a Superman?" story?

Timothy Callahan said...

The Guardians did appear in the first novel, indeed, which was much more of a space adventure story than the second one was.