Wednesday, March 18, 2009

When Words Collide: Summer Collected Editions

There's nothing like window shopping for expensive hardcover collections in an economy like this, eh?

I really don't need 20 more collected editions -- I already own most of the stuff in some form or another -- but that doesn't stop me from recommending the 20 Best Collected Editions coming up in the next few months. Honestly, I'll probably end up buying most of these books anyway, because they are full of great stuff, and I like having these kinds of things much more than the individual floppies. (I really have to look into bookbinding more closely. My tendency to fall for double or triple dipping is getting ridiculous.)

But with stuff like "Captain Britain by Alan Moore and Alan Davis Omnibus" and "Marvel Masterworks: Warlock" Volume 2 scheduled for the summer months, how can I really resist?

So go read Chris Marshall's list of upcoming Collected Editions, then go read this week's "When Words Collide" to see my recommendations. Tell me what I forgot to include in my admittedly Marvel and DC-heavy list!

7 comments:

Kevin said...

Hey Tim! I think one thing your missing is Usagi Yojimbo: The Special Edition this May from Fantagraphics. It's all the Fantagraphic issues in a 2 volume slip case. I can't wait for this. Hope you are well!

Timothy Callahan said...

Great recommendation! I completely overlooked that one, but I'll definitely pick up that monster of a book.

Chris Marshall said...

Tim,
Thanks so much for the link. I think that 2009 is going to be a great year for Collected Editions. Personally, I can't wait for Preacher and the old Prince Valiant reprints.
Chris

Matthew E said...

The third LSH Showcase edition is coming up soon; I was halfway expecting to see that on your list.

Timothy Callahan said...

I HATE HATE HATE the Legion Showcase volumes. Legion stories just do not work in black and white.

Bruce Castle said...

JLA Deluxe Edition Vol. 2 HC- I love Grant Morrison. You love Grant Morrison. We all love Grant Morrison. But have you ever thought of doing a "Worst Grant Morrison Stories" list? Something like:

JLA/Wildcats
Spawn
And so on...

I try to read his best stuff and maybe that list will inform other Morrison fans which stories to avoid.

Timothy Callahan said...

Oh yeah, that's a good idea. I'll do that as a WWC column this spring or summer.