Friday, February 27, 2009

Mister X: Condemned #3 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: Mister X: Condemned #1, about which I write the following sentences: "We know things about him, and 'Mister X: Condemned' has reminded us about some of those things, but he's still an enigmatic figure, even when the comic bares his name. Because when you're dealing with a Dean Motter 'Mister X' story, you're dealing with an emphasis that's more about the characters scurrying around inside the maze of Radiant City than about the characters themselves. It's the scurrying that matters, and the maze itself. It's not a literal maze, of course, but it's the peculiar 'psychetecture' of the city that gives the setting its unique flavor. The setting is the character here, and that's not unusual for Motter."

Read the entire review HERE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember thinking "Finally!" when those Mister X trades came out a while back, and then sitting down to read them and finding it a real chore. Even the Hernandez bits. I guess Mister X is forever destined to be the prime example of a great concept being blandly executed.

However, since Terminal City is one of my absolute favourite comics of the nineties, I seem to be able to forgive Motter a lot. I worked hard on liking Electropolis as well, although without much luck.