Sunday, January 25, 2009

What I'm Reading: Dororo, Beowulf, Jason Aaron

I'm not quite finished with it yet, but I've read 90% of "Dororo," Volume 1 (with Volumes 2 and 3 sitting in the pile next to my bed).

I have never been the world's biggest Osamu Tezuka fan -- and I know that's another example of my blasphemous thinking -- but his characters have never appealed to me at all. I have a few of his works on my "To Read" pile, and I'm sure my opinion will change the deeper I immerse myself in his world, but "Dororo" has already gone a long way to break down my prejudice toward his work.

"Dororo" is INSANE. Babies with no arms, legs, eyes, ears, or mouths that learn to become kick-ass martial artists and must defeat demons to gain body parts? That is pretty much what I want from my Manga, and Tezuka gives it to me here. I love it.

I also just read all three "Scalped" trades, "The Other Side," "Wolverine: Get Mystique," and "Ghost Rider: Hell Bent and Heaven Bound" in preparation for an extensive overview of Jason Aaron's career/retrospective interview series that I'm working on. Look for the fruits of that labor later this month (or maybe in mid-February -- I might hold off on the publication until after the NYCC madness dies down). For the record: Jason Aaron's work is great. In case you didn't know. Even his lesser Marvel work is better than most of the stuff you're already buying.

I'm also rereading Seamus Heaney's translation of "Beowulf" because this week begins some Brit Lit action in my classroom, and "Beowulf" has 99% more Grendel-arm-ripping-off-action than any other English language poem you'd care to mention (even if it is Old English, which, let's face it, is not recognizable as English to the man on the street).

What are YOU reading?

9 comments:

Justin Steiner said...

I read the first Scalped trade this week, largely due to your proselytizing. It didn't disappoint and I get the feeling it only gets better from there.

I'm also working through the Jan. 2009 issue of Asimov's.

Vanja said...

I just started re-reading Alan Moore's Swamp thing, but I'm also finishing H.G.Wells' "the First men in the Moon".

Chad Nevett said...

After rereading The Invisibles, I reread Seven Soldiers (plus the three-issue JLA Classified prologue) in preparation for rereading all nine issues of Final Crisis before the final one hits stands this week (six plus the two Superman Beyond 3D issues and Submit).

Still rereading The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler, but haven't been in a big prose mood lately.

Kalki-El said...

I'm knee-deep into Win Scott Eckert's "Myths for the Modern Age" and still finding Philip Wylie I haven't read yet.

I have to pile on in gratitude for the Scalped recommendation.

Down the street from a real rez...

Anonymous said...

I just reread, of all things, Watchmen, in preparation for an article I'm writing. Also reading Strindbergs Svarta Fanor (doubt it's ever been translated) and Bottomless Bellybutton by Dash Shaw. And I'm still trying to get through Pekar's incredibly boring SDS-book. Man, that's a chore.

slasherfan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
malpractice said...

Just read the first trade of "Young Liars" last night and it blew my mind. It was everything i ever wanted a comic to be and more.

I have to track down the other issues and start picking it up monthly.

Bryce Menard said...

"The Umbrella Academy"

"A House Of Leaves" (currently back on my proverbial shelf for the time being; I'm reading too many things at once)

"Story"

"The Catcher In The Rye" (again)

and "Gorillaz: Rise Of The Ogre" (again)

Timothy Callahan said...

I started "House of Leaves" when it first came out, and though I liked it, I never made it past page 120 or so. Just never got around to finishing it.