Thursday, January 22, 2009

Uncanny X-Men Annual #2 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: Uncanny X-Men Annual #2, about which I write the following sentences: "Fraction uses all of that history to great effect here. This is Emma Frost, unleashed, but with a depth of character that we rarely see in her. And even though this comic is ostensibly a 'Dark Reign,' tie-in, it's more about how she handles the new status quo than the status quo itself. It's about her strangely affecting relationship with Namor, and her history with Sebastian Shaw. It's about who Emma Frost is now, and who she was as a member of the Hellfire Club. And it's surprising and alive and full of robot attacks and bedroom intrigue. It's very good."

Read the entire review HERE.

5 comments:

blank said...

you actually enjoyed this book? it had nothing to do with uncanny x-men in the least. why wasn't it some sort of backup story to a Dark Reign one-shot? and why was it so long? it dragged on for soooo long. and btw, this stupid connection that Namor and Emma have is one of the most contrived things I've ever heard of before. I was excited when I heard that the X-Men were going to be more linked in with mainstream Marvel continuity through Emma's involvement with Dark Reign, but if this is how they're going about it... damn that's sad.

and btw, until I read this issue I was a huge Matt Fraction fanboy and I've never had anything bad to say about any of his books, except for this boring book.

btw, how did you give this lame excuse for an X-Men Annual a bad review but you gave the Betty Brant issue of ASM a bad one? wow... I just don't see how you judge your books.

Anonymous said...

Ziggy's kinda harsh there, but I really hated this book, too. "We don't have blondes where I come from?"

Timothy Callahan said...

You hated it? It's really good! Did you like the art at least?

Kyle White said...

I think the blondes line diminishes that thing he has with Sue Storm.

Matt Jacobson said...

I just tore this issue apart at my blog, but I swear, I did that before reading yuor review, Tim. Not that your review changed my mind, but I'm not purposely baiting you. I only do that with Northlanders. And the Office. I just seem to be disagreeing with you a lot lately.

Northlanders sucks.