Thursday, April 02, 2009

When Words Collide: Wolverine and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I've been doing the "When Words Collide" columns for what, like 30-something weeks in a row? And in all that time, I've spotlighted a Marvel character or comic book only once before, when I tackled Marvel's "Punisher Omnibus" and wrote about my preference for Garth Ennis's more blatantly absurd take on the character.

That column led to some harsh criticism from a certain corners of the internet as one angry e-mailer told me that I should stick to reading my "pre-9/11 comics."

But here I am, spending time with another Marvel character: the little-known character called "Wolverine." You may not have heard much about him, since he's Canadian and all -- and one of those, ick, mutant types -- but he's a cool little character who's kind of like a angry badger with a lot of smelly habits. And to examine this character I decided to talk with my old pal Barry Lyga who has a young adult novel coming out soon, featuring this obscure character with the funny hair and the metal pig-stickers.

Join us, won't you, as Lyga and I discuss what's so special about Wolverine in "Wolverine and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day."

7 comments:

Shecky Shabazz said...

That picture is from Meltdown, isn't it? I remember when I was a kid thinking the Wolverine/Havok team-up is one of the coolest ever. I still do, actually.

Timothy Callahan said...

I have still never read the whole series/collected edition. I only ever owned issues 1 and 3.

Shecky Shabazz said...

It's a long time since I read it, and it probably hasn't aged too well, but at the time (which for me, living in scandinavia, is a few years after the fact) it was one of the coolest comics ever. If nothing else, the art is still great.

Preston said...

Hey, is the title a reference to some kid's book, like the character was Alex of something? Bceuase I loved that story when I was little.

Timothy Callahan said...

Yup:

http://tinyurl.com/ctjv33

Preston said...

Cool!

Anonymous said...

Under asics ultimate 81 the agreement, Asics onitsuka tiger ultimate 81 footwear will be available in India ultiamte 81 onitsuka tiger by April 2010, initially at Reliance Footprint ultimate 81 tiger stores in Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore,ultimate 81 onitsuka Hyderabad, Chennai and Kochi, the companies mexico 66 asics tiger said in a joint statement.Asics will have the asics mexico 66 right to sell its products at its own exclusive onitsuka tiger ultimate brand outlets, in addition to onitsuka tiger mexcio 66 being sold at Reliance Footprint stores.