Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I'm supposed to be on break, but: Jann Jones No Longer at DC

I tried to e-mail Johnny DC editor Jann Jones about the situation with Mike Kunkel and the "Shazam!" book (which, if you don't know, is that Kunkel is being replaced by Art Baltzar and Franco on the writing, and an as-yet-unnamed artist, but Kunkel will come back and do some issues in the future), and Jones's DC e-mail is no longer active, and it sends an auto reply saying to contact another DC employee.

When I e-mailed this other employee, she confirmed that "Jann no longer works here."

I haven't seen this reported anywhere.

I wonder what that means for the Johnny DC line, which Jones had so strongly redirected. I wonder what that means for the still-unreleased "Ambush Bug: Year None" #6.

Anyone know anything?

4 comments:

Michael Kindness said...

messages left on her Facebook page seem to indicate she's moving to California. I think that's where her fiancee, James Robinson, lives....

Matt said...

Jann Jones seems to have been a pretty key player in the modern line of DC books especially with her personal focus on the all-ages titles. She's also a forward-facing figure who has done a number of convention panels and had positive fan relations.

I would never speculate on what's happening over there but I will say it would have been nice if this had been handled better by DC especially if it's as innocuous as her moving to CA to be near her fiance. She deserves better than a passing mention in an e-mail to recognize her departure.

Bill Reed said...

Sonuvabitch!

Word verification is "porsei" which rhymes with what I am shouting to the heavens: "POR QUE!?!!?!?!?"

Jay W said...

Robinson needs to live in LA because of his film and television work, so I think she just needed to move so that they could start their life together. From what I've heard, her last day was just this week. Like most major corporations, the automatic e-mail account locks and other things go into effect before any sort of info is usually released. That may have even been at her request. I don't think its standard procedure for any comics company to release information when a person leaves anyway.