Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka Vol. 2 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: "Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka" Vol. 2, about which I write the following sentences: "It's the shift in focus that makes 'Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka' so powerful. It's probably a silly comparison to make, but as a longtime superhero reader and relative manga neophyte, this series struck me as a kind of 'Watchmen' for the manga crowd. It deconstructs the mythic characters of Tezuka's immensely influential 'Astro Boy' comics, taking them from cartoonish exaggerations and treating them with a subtle realism. This is softer than 'Watchmen,' and it's less formally inventive, but it reminds me of the experience I had while reading Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons's work for the first time: 'Oh,' I thought, 'this is certainly a different take on things.' And I have that same feeling reading this series."

Read the entire review HERE.

5 comments:

Sergio said...

I have read most of the Pluto run and it really is a masterpiece in its own right, but in my opinion the real "watchmen" for the manga/anime crowd would be the Giant Robo anime, if you have the chance watch it you won't regret it.

Gamester Five said...

I actually have the first three Giant Robo dvds, and I never made it past the first one. Is it really that great? (Well, I guess I'm asking -- does it get much, much better after the first disc, because I thought it was fine, but not mind-blowing.)

Sergio said...

Yes, definitely worth your time, the beginning seems to be a typical anime but soon it shows its complexity; like watchmen it's loosely based on several old series that were re-worked to tell a new intriguing story, if you liked Pluto I'm pretty sure you'll definitely enjoy Giant Robo.

Anonymous said...

I really want to read your review, but when I click the link, I get sent to your CBR review of War of Kings #2. :(

Timothy Callahan said...

Fixed! Thanks.