Monday, June 09, 2008

Skyscrapers of the Midwest Hardcover Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: Skyscrapers of the Midwest (Hardcover), about which I write the following sentences: "Even after all the pain and misery and glimpses of contentment and maybe even joy, Cotter ends the book with a simple scene between the two brothers -- a scene from their younger days, before the protagonist turned into a much angrier young man. The scene takes place in a snowstorm and as the characters walk away, the snow covers their tracks, and the pages turn to whiteness, and then blankness. Unlike their footprints, the power of the story lingers, but ending the story in the snow is appropriate. Cotter has frozen these childhood moments in time, not with rosy nostalgia but with bleak honesty."

I mentioned liking the first part of the book yesterday, and now that I've finished it, I love it even more.

Read the entire review HERE.

No comments: