Sunday, June 29, 2008

Green Lantern #32 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: Green Lantern #32, about which I write the following sentences: "'Captain America' is a dark look at the individual struggling against the system -- it's a Marvel book through-and-through, with its pathos straight out of Stan Lee and its iconography straight from Jack Kirby. 'Green Lantern,' on the other hand, is the quintessential DC comic. It's brighter, more epic, more showy. It's about clear delineations between good and evil. It's that Gardner Fox/John Broome approach to the genre, updated for the 21st century. If you are a DC fan, Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis' 'Green Lantern' is probably one of your favorite comics, embodying, as it does, everything the DC Universe does well: spectacle with a strong sense of tradition."

Read the entire review HERE.

4 comments:

Chad Nevett said...

So, what you're saying is, since I really enjoy Captain America, but don't like Green Lantern at all, I'm really a Marvel guy in my heart of hearts? Huh. Makes sense. I already knew that given the number of Marvel books I buy compared to the number of DC books I buy, but I like that theory.

Timothy Callahan said...

Probably true, yes.

But I ALSO think, given what I know about your reading tastes, that if you read all of Johns's Green Lantern from Rebirth all the way through the current series, you would find a lot to like. You might even become almost sort of a Johns fan.

By the way, Astonishing X-Men #25 is AWESOME! I loved it. Warren Ellis is good. Bianchi: also good.

Chad Nevett said...

I have tried the book three times (first two issues, issue nine or ten or eight or something, and then issue twenty-five) and no go. Unless obsessed Green Lantern fans want to buy me a complete set of books, never again.

Anonymous said...

I don't care for Captain America at all (I was almost starting to enjoy his comic but then he went and died and the irritating Winter Soldier took over and put me right off) but Green Lantern on the other hand entertains me every month. Ever since it's rebirth and Jordan return to the role it's just been superb. Johns' writing is great and Reis' art is spectacular. He's easily among my favorite artists now. Wasn't sure I needed another retelling of Jordan's GL origin but this latest version has been great and added much more to it without overdoing it.