Friday, June 20, 2008

Hellblazer #245 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: Hellblazer #245, about which I write the following sentences: "I bailed out on 'Hellblazer' halfway through the Garth Ennis run, and I haven't picked up an issue of this series since. I can't really blame Ennis. His work on the title was quite good, but I moved on to other things and never bothered to look back. But how could I resist 'Hellblazer' #245 when it's written by one of the best current writers in American comics, Jason Aaron? I could not. Especially when I found out that the story would deal with John Constantine's days as a member of Mucous Membrane. Punk rock plus Jason Aaron? How could I go wrong? 'Hellblazer' #245 lived up to my expectations and then some. It reminded me how good this series used to be, and it made me want to go back and reread all the back issues. I have more than enough to do these days, so any comic that makes me want to dig through the longboxes for extra reading material is a pretty extraordinary comic."

Jason Aaron on Hellblazer? You've got to buy it, right?

Read the entire review HERE.

6 comments:

Vicious said...

Sounds awesome!

Marc Caputo said...

I've been away from Hellblazer since 120 - which means now I've been away around as long as I was with it. I keep meaning to get back and it's easy to with all the issues (except a few) in trade. Since Aaron's only on for the 2, I'm getting them (no trade probably). But I have been looking forward to this type of story for a long time.

It's funny how it seems that no writer can do this character any harm. (I say seems because I haven't heard that any particular run is poor.)

Maybe it's time to dive back in.

Also, I'm starting to recognize some of the Word Verification "words". What's worse is I recognize them from different blogs - "Hey, rtvnkd was on her blog last month."

Worried.

Chad Nevett said...

Shop was sold out (probably because they ordered, like, one copy beyond the pull lists), but I've pick it up elsewhere eventually.

This week was "Jason Aaron Week," wasn't it? Isn't it weird how that keeps happening--weeks where every book a creator writes seems to ship? It's especially odd since it usually involves multiple publishers.

Marc Caputo said...

What's up with the ads? Selling out to the man?

Timothy Callahan said...

I'm totally selling out. Wanna buy a piece of me?

(Actually, I just want to see what these ads actually do--if I only make a couple of bucks a week off of them they probably aren't worth having--but if they pay for a trade paperback or two every month, I'll stick with them.)

malpractice said...

Anyone who has been away from Hellblazer for awhile and wants to get back into it, i highly suggest the recent run by Andy Diggle. It is very reminscent of the Ennis/Simpson run while doing it's own thing at the same time. Great stuff.

This issue in question was pretty awesome too. Jason Aaron can do no wrong it seems, the guy has me buying Ghost Rider for chrissakes!