Thursday, December 04, 2008

X-Men Noir #1 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: X-Men Noir #1 about which I write the following sentences: "This comic has David Niven playing a role, and Adrian Brody as the 'Gambit' character -- albeit one with a tuxedo instead of a pink costume and trenchcoat. I'm sure I'm leaving out some other notable faces, but it's really very similar to the style Greg Land has used so egregiously since the post-CrossGen days. And Calero sometimes repeats the same exact panel multiple times on a page, without variation. I understand that it's an artistic choice, and it may indicate a passivity within a scene, but body language is an important part of storytelling, and having both characters in a scene sit in the same pose for panel after panel is a poor way to tell this particular story."

Read the entire review HERE.

5 comments:

David Uzumeri said...

Wow, I'm surprised by how much I disagreed. I have to ask, though - did you read a preview PDF? In all the lettered previews I saw, everything looked really crappy to me because the lettering 'effects' (for lack of a better word) were all in crisp vector hi-res while the pictures they were on were relatively grainy, so it looked like a cable access LARP show, but I thought everything really came together in the printed copy I read. Then again, I didn't notice any celebrity face lifts anyway, so maybe I'll reread it and find out I don't like it as much. :(

Timothy Callahan said...

We can't ALWAYS agree. But, yeah, I did read a pdf, but I really didn't have a problem with the lettering anyway. I had a problem with the art and story.

David Uzumeri said...

Fair enough, then - I didn't mean the lettering itself, but the Illustrator effects used in the art, but looking at it again I can certainly see your problems more. Ah well. Looking forward to your take on Batman.

marcwrz said...

I'm also on the disagreement, I thought the art was solid, and I read it on a .cbz file (sigh, lack of money means of physical comics in my hand) but I didn't find the art to be terrible, not fantastic, but solid nonetheless.

As for the story, I actually fug seeing the golden age Angel pop up. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Anonymous said...

Xmen Noir is like a bad Star Trek Next Gen episode where the crew gets stuck in the holodeck in one of them gangster crime scenarios... lol. Next thing you know there will be alternate universes where Professor X 2.0 has a goatee to symbolize he's the evil one...