Tuesday, December 16, 2008

WWC End of the Year Blowout!

So tomorrow's installment of "When Words Collide" is ready to run, and what was going to be my rundown of the Top 20 comics of 2008 expanded into a Two-Part(!) exploration of the Top 20 comics of 2008. So counting down starting tomorrow you'll get #20-#11, and then #10-#1 just in time for Christmas.

Let's see how well you know me: What's going to make my Top 20??? (Chad Nevett need not apply, since I already told him my Top 10 -- you can guess on the rest, though, Chad.)

Also, for my final column of the year, I'm going to highlight 15 Creators to Watch in '09, and though I already have a list of more than 15 in mind, I'm curious about who you think should make that list. What comic book writers or artists should have a breakout year (or continue to do brilliant work) in 2009? Let me know who I'm likely to forget.

9 comments:

Jason D. Manger said...

Atomic Robo, Invincible, Morrison's Batman, Final Crisis...those are some of mine anyway :-)

Matt Jacobson said...

Breakout artist: Jerome Opena of Fear Agent, soon to be on Remender's Punisher. He's awesome and improving with every issue he draws.

I don't suppose Scalped will be at the top of your list? Naaaaaah.

vinicius jatoba said...

Tim, Fábio Moon. He is Gabriel Bá`s twin, and I really believe that he will come strong as penciller of their first solo Vertigo series. He already drawn the second volume of Casanova. Moon is under the radar, somehow, but he will put himself in great position next year.

Anonymous said...

Tiny Titans better be on that list or I will come to your city and break your back, forcing chad to take up the mantle of Timothy Callahan until he goes crazy.

Justin Giampaoli said...

Rafael Grampa and Jonathan Hickman should be creators to watch!

Anonymous said...

"Tiny Titans better be on that list or I will come to your city and break your back, forcing chad to take up the mantle of Timothy Callahan until he goes crazy."

Battle For The Call!

Michael James Roberson said...

As for creators to watch, I think '09 is gonna be a good year for Paul Cornell. Leonard Kirk too, for that matter.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to guess Final Crisis, Batman, All-Star Superman, Scalped, Iron Man, Captain America, Captain Britain and MI:13, Northlanders. Maybe Uncanny and/or Astonishing X-Men?

If there's one talent I've got my eye on for 2009 its Jonathan Hickman. I'll definitely be picking up Secret Warriors when it hits.

Chad Nevett said...

I have no idea which creators to watch next year. Er, Cornell and Hickman. I can't think of any other writers whose work I follow like that. Maybe Duane Swierczynski since he has a lot of stuff in early 2009 coming out. As for artists, I don't follow any closely enough to comment. Though, Fabio Moon does seem like a good bet. Maybe Jonathan Hickman again?