Monday, September 10, 2007

Guess This Artist!

Still no new comics (my shop isn't getting last week's stuff until this week, ugh) so instead of talking about comics, I've decided to show you some. And play a little game.

Here's some lesser-known work by a major talent in the comic book industry. Take a guess and leave a comment below. These five pages are the ENTIRE story, by the way. Can you guess who (wrote and) drew this story???







First person to guess it correctly wins an awesome drawing done by me. I'll draw any character you want, on typing paper, using crayons, and then I'll mail it to you. I'll even sign it.

So, go ahead, guess away!

6 comments:

Elliott said...

I know the answer. I found a bunch of issues of the series this is from in an old dollar store that was going out of business a few years ago for $.25 each. This is kind of supposed to be a guessing game, so I don't know if it's fair to say the answer.

Timothy Callahan said...

E-mail me the answer:

TCallah@hotmail.com

And let me know what superhero character you want me to draw for your prize!

Everyone else: keep guessing! Maybe I'll award multiple prizes!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I figured it out through the wonders of the 'net. It's fun to research! Though I know the answer, I do want to comment that I see a bit of Steranko influenece in that particular piece. At least to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

This short piece reminds me slightly of one of European comics' most infamous vigilante stories, Hermann Huppen's "L'Aimez Vous Saignant Ou Bien Cui?". That comic isn't wordless but nearly so. There's more plot, too: The family of the main protagonist is killed, the "hero" is able to track the vicious perpetrators down and kills them violently, with one villain going down in flames. It's a very brutal, shocking and ultimately dubious story. A short internet research didn't bring up much background but one reader of the German edition of "L'Aimez Vous..." claims that Hermann was influenced by the Charles Bronson vehicle "Death Wish".

I suppose there aren't any direct influeces between "The Private Eye" and "L'Aimez Vous...", it's most likely just overlapping tropes of popular fiction.

alexf said...

Without doing any net research, is it Frank Miller? Or maybe John Byrne?

I'm assuming someone will reveal the correct answer at some point...

Ryan said...

I instantly recognize this as the work of Darwyn Cooke. Seriously, who couldn't guess that? I expect my prize shall be delivered with alacrity.