Sunday, March 23, 2008

Six Years Later

I've been buying comics ever week since I was in middle school, and unlike most fans I know, I've never taken a break from comics, and I've always had a general feeling that my comic book buying habits have been relatively consistent, although I know I spend a bit more on comics now than I used to (frankly, because I just have more money now than I used to). Earlier today I was searching for something on the CBR website and I came across a list of January 2002 releases from DC Comics. Curious about my buying habits a scant six years ago, I read through the list. Now the "Power Company" stuff messes up the data, probably (because WHO BOUGHT THAT?), but out of the 60+ comics listed, I only bought 9 of them. Nine DC Comics for the entire month of January, 2002. And most of those were for some Batman crossover that I tried out since they suckered me in with the 10-Cent Adventure. So, if it weren't for that bit of shrewd marketing on their part, I would have only bought four DC books for that entire month.

Now, in 2008, I buy about 12 DC comics per WEEK. That's like a 1000% 433.33% increase in my comics buying (Chad, I'm sure you'll check my math on this one), and I didn't think I bought THAT many more comics than I did six years ago.

Looking back on that 2002 list, the only thing I really wish I had bought was some of the Superman stuff. I totally missed that Casey/Kelly/Shultz Superman era, and I kind of wished I read it. I don't have much desire to track down the back issues, but I would have liked to have read that stuff at some point. Since 2002, I have picked up all the JSA and Giffen Suicide Squad back issues, and I have the Johns Flash stuff in trades, but, really? I only bought about four* DC comics per month back then?

Are DC comics that much better now?

I think they are, although DC hasn't done much to impress me lately, and the Countdown effect has definitely soured me toward much of their output in recent months. Still, looking at that list from 2002 didn't make me feel like that stuff back then was any good, either. Over the past few years I made a conscious decision to immerse myself in Marvel and DC's superhero universes in a way that I never had before. Before, I bought comics exclusively based on the creators. Now, I buy comics because I am immersed in the complex intertextuality of shared superhero continuity. I think that's how most fans start off. Most fans start off buying a variety of comics and then narrow it down to a few creators they follow. I started with a few creators and now I read pretty much everything. I did it backwards, I guess. But I didn't realize how little I bought just a few years ago.

How about you? Do you buy more or less comics now than you did six years ago? Why do you think that is?


*Not including the "Bruce Wayne: Murderer?" stuff I picked up (and I normally wouldn't have bought those titles), in January of 2002 I purchased Catwoman #3, The Dark Knight Strikes Again #2 (although did that REALLY come out that month--probably not, right?), Green Arrow #12, and Tom Strong's Terrific Tales #2. That's it.

EDITED TO ADD: Out of curiosity, I just checked the Marvel solicitations for January 2002. I bought 10 Marvel titles that month, out of 50 or so choices. Half of those were Ultimate titles or X-Men related (Morrison was doing New X-Men and Milligan and Cooke[!] were on X-Factor). Still 14 comics for the whole month--19 if you count the Batman crossover stuff, is less than what I buy in an average week now. Although this little exercise goes to show that even if I think of myself as a "DC guy," which I do, I have been buying (and enjoying) more Marvel titles than DC ones for quite a while.

24 comments:

Chad Nevett said...

That's, what, 48 titles per month? Which would make it only a 433.33333% (the 3 keeps repeating) increase.

And I've never stopped buying/reading comics. I wouldn't go back six years because I had far less money and bought maybe three titles (at most) on a consistent basis. But, I also bought trades and read various things my dad bought to make up for my lack of cash.

Timothy Callahan said...

Thanks, mathboy.

Timothy Callahan said...

Note: I'm pretty sure I don't make 433.33% more money now. It's a good thing I don't plan on forcing my kids to go to college. Ugh. Who wants to go to college, anyway. It's for suckers.

Also, we need to get your dad in on a Splash Page conversation someday. That would be awesome. Three-way action.

Chad Nevett said...

And I just checked:

I bought one DC issue (JLA) and one trade from January (Transmetropolitan).

As for Marvel, I bought the X-Force hardcover. Although, I recognised a lot of stuff I bought in a collection later.

Chad Nevett said...

Er, no, we don't, Tim.

Timothy Callahan said...

We could get my dad too, although his contribution would be, "I don't get it" and "what's the point" and "how can you read comic books?"

Timothy Callahan said...

So wait, do you buy 433% more stuff now too? If so, then I think we have proven that comics are 433% better now. Let's issue a press release.

Chad Nevett said...

Um... if we're just looking at Marvel and DC combined, not including trades, my numbers have increased by 1400% comparing January 2002 to January 2008. On average, since January 2002, looking at just January's solicits, I bought at least two titles from DC (except for 2004) and... I don't know how many from Marvel as all I did was DC and I'm feeling lazy now. Let's assume that it's the same.

Of course, this excludes Image and Avatar, both companies I've gotten a lot of stuff from over the years. And it excludes trades and material later collected in trades.

I am buying more singles right now than at any other time for a number of reasons--the primary one, honestly, is the column since it has me in the shop now on a weekly basis, which means I usually pick up at least five or six books per week, which is higher than any other period (and that doesn't include titles on my pull list back in London). Also, I'm currently making some decent money (but that ends in a month... shit). Really, I'm just more willing to pick up singles right now than I have been in the past--and more willing to try stuff out because I'm there and have the money.

Timothy Callahan said...

So we can prove, with hard evidence, that comics now are AT LEAST 433% better if not 1000% better than they were six years ago. This must be reported to the media.

Chad Nevett said...

Ah, but what if I took into account every book I read through my dad or later in a collection? Of course, that would require me to see into the future so I know which books I didn't buy the singles of right now, I later read in a collection. Dammit.

Fine. Comics are anywhere from 433%-1400% better now than in January of 2002.

Marc Caputo said...

Another of my father's inconsistencies is also, "How can you read comics at your age?" when he's 30 years older and has watched nearly every episode of "The Simpsons".

But damnit, I was thinking of doing a "where am I now with the comics thing?"

For the record, I'm back fulltime a little over 4 years now. When I came back I was solely DC for a year plus. Now, all of a sudden, I'm slightly more Marvel, but overall I'm down to about 8-9 titles a week from 15-20 about two years ago.

And you guys stay up late! I'm gonna have to get some Jolt! to keep up with you.

Chad Nevett said...

In my case, I'm rarely in bed before one--but that comes along with being 25, single, in school, and having no real reason to ever get up before ten in the morning.

And, Marc, why did you stop reading comics? I've always been a little curious about why people stop/start again. Strangely, I've noticed a similarity between comic readers and wrestling fans in that regard: most read/watched as children, stopped at some point, but then come back later.

Marc Caputo said...

Chad, that's a long story. But I will get back to you on that.

Tears may be shed at one point, so tragic it is.

Timothy Callahan said...

I stay up late when I get a chance to nap during the day. I loves me the naps.

Chad Nevett said...

I can't nap. It leaves me grogging, cranky and slow-witted. My body needs its sleep in one big burst per day.

Marc Caputo said...

You see, that's what I try to explain to the stay at home mom. If I can get just 30 minutes after I get home from school (3:30 - 4:00) then I can go the rest of the night and be SuperDad.

And get some reading and writing in after.

Matthew E said...

Six years ago? Let's see... that would have been March of '02... I don't think I was quite collecting comics at the time. If I was, I had only just restarted, and it was only one title (The Legion). Right now I'm collecting, oh, maybe a half-dozen titles, depending on how you're counting; maybe less than that.

Timothy Callahan said...

Stay at home mom, eh? Well, since she's just been sitting around all day doing nothing, she shouldn't worry about you getting a nap. What, does watching "Oprah" and "Judge Mathis" tire her out?

She will probably punch you in the face for even reading such a comment.

Timothy Callahan said...

Matthew: Well a 600% increase in your comic buying falls within the Callahan-Nevett Theory parameters. Chad, we have more data!

Chad Nevett said...

Six titles from one would only be a 500% increase, Tim.

To get an increase, you take the increase, subtract the original, then divide by the original and multiply by 100.

In this case, (6-1)/1=5x100=500%

But, still, that falls within our original estimate--which only strengthens our theory. Shazam!

Timothy Callahan said...

I don't believe in math. Unless it proves our kickass theory.

I'm going to e-mail Heidi MacDonald!

Chad Nevett said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! And thus I add another blogosphere math credit to my resume. Soon, I will no longer be "Joe Casey expert" (which I still don't buy, but whatever) but "The guy who does math to help others with comic posts."

I'm actually thinking of doing a series of posts looking at January of each year with DC, Marvel, Image and Avatar (maybe even going back as far as 1999--to get the full ten years... and, yes, you would think it would 1998, but that would be eleven years... trust me) and examining what I bought then, what my dad bought and I read, and what I bought in trades. It's good "avoiding other work" work.

Chad Nevett said...

Aaaaaaaaand I just blew the theory all to hell. At least as far as my reading habits go.

Marc Caputo said...

I just picked up the last (of 6) tpb of the post-Jurgens Superman, which started at Superman 151 and spiraled through the 4 titles and will get to them soon. Those include the Kelly/Schultz, etc. issues.